Sharing a Heart shaped buñuelos (Mexican fritters) recipe to end this week of Valentine’s Day recipes! We started the week off with Heart Shaped Tortilla Chips and Pink Popcorn. Both are so fun, festive and tasty but this buñuelos recipe turned out SO GOOD! We made the dough from scratch but you can easily sub ready-made tortillas for a quick, easy and festive treat. Just cut into shapes (if desired) and skip to step 6!
This is not a traditional buñuelos recipe, I just used our usual flour tortilla recipe. The end result is not as sweet or crispy as a traditional buñuelo but still VERY good.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup oil (we use olive oil, avocado or avocado blend)
1 cup warm water
- Combine and mix dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add the oil and water. Stir until all dry ingredients are incorporated and the dough begins to come together and form a ball. If dough is too dry add water or flour if dough is to wet.
- Knead dough on lightly floured work surface for 1-2 minutes until the dough is nice and smooth.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and roll into balls.
- Roll dough into rough circles and cut into desired shapes (optional) *see tip below
- Heat up skillet or cast iron with oil
- Place dough in oil and fry until golden brown (about 1-2 mins; each side)
- Combine equal parts cinnamon and sugar in a plate or bowl. Sprinkle and rub the cinnamon sugar onto both sides of each buñuelo while still warm. *Do not add cinnamon sugar to the buñuelos while in the pan! I thought this would be more efficient but the sugar ended up burning and made a hot smokey mess.
- Serve buñuelos warm or at room temperature. We served them with our favorite chocolate spread and fresh berries. So H E A V E N L Y .
*Tip for cutting the shapes- Place the rolling pin over the cookie cutter and roll the pin with a bit of light pressure over the cookie cutter a few times. This ensures for a nice clean cut shape with no fuss.
Thank you for reading! I hope you are inspired to try, this Heart Shaped Bunuelos (Mexican fritters) Recipe or another of the recipes I shared this week. Share any thoughts or questions below. Happy Valentine’s Day